Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development
The Ministry of Women Affairs, Social Development and Gender Empowerment and Social Welfare is an arm of government saddled with policies/activities that will bring about holistic speedy and healthy development of Ekiti State Women, children and the disadvantaged/less privileged in the mainstream of the State Development process.
The Ministry ensures the survival, protection, development of women, children and person in need of government intervention.
The Ministry is divided into Administration and Supplies, Women Affairs and Gender Empowerment, Child Development, Social Development, and Finance & Account Departments.
To create a conducive environment for the development of women, children and other vulnerable people by providing equal opportunities, adequate care and support for them and harnessing their potentials.
To provide an enabling environment for women to live in a world in which there is justice, equity and respect for Women’s Right.
To ensure the holistic development of women through Educational, Economic, Social and Political empowerment and monitoring gender responsive issues.
To ensure the survival, protection of children in preparation for meaningful adult life.
To promote the Welfare of the Citizens of Ekiti State.
- Preparation and Implementation of the aspect of the State Budget pertaining to Women Affairs, Children and social Welfare
- Facilitating the holistic development of women through educational, economic, social and political empowerment.
- Ensuring the total well-being and development of children through well articulated programmes and activities geared towards the participating, survival, protection and developmental rights of child-being the 4 Thematic areas of the convention on the Rights of the Child (also enshrined in the Ekiti State Child’s Rights Law 2006)
- Promoting gender equality/mainstream gender into Government Policies.
- Fostering cooperation among Women and facilitates good rapport between the grassroot women and the Government.
- Coordinating of all non-Governmental Organization activities focused on children and women.
- Mobilizing women to form cooperative societies that are beneficial and profitably run.
- Facilitating the families social well being through pre-marital counseling, marriages and reconciliation of those in disputes.
- Provision and promotion of Juvenile Welfare Services in form of counseling and reformation of deviant ones, through the involvement of the Juvenile/Family courts where necessary
- Facilitating care for the Aged and others who require special attention and care.
- Facilitating care for all vulnerable individuals who require one form of special care or the other.
- Support programme for Girl-child Education.
|Mrs. Peju Babafemi
|Mrs. Adeyemo F. Ibironke
|Mrs. F. Olabisi Fatoba
|Director, Social Welfare
|Mrs. A. Omotayo Olatilu
|Director, Child Development
|Mrs. C. Modupe Aluko
|Director, Women Affairs
|Mr. Bayo Odewale
|Director, Rehabilitation Services
|Mrs. M. Oyeyemi Oyebola
|Director, Admin & Supply
|Mrs. B. Funmilayo Sanni
|Director, Finance & Supply
|Mr. J. Sunday Falodun
|Director, Planning, Research & Statistics
|Mr. S. Ayodele Alabi
|Chief Internal Auditor
Alhaja Mariam OgunladeCommissioner2020 – 2022
|Chief (Mrs) Onipede Jolaade
|1996 – 1998
|1998 – 1999
|Chief (Mrs) Onipede Jolaade
|1999 – 2000
|Mrs. Ronke Okusanya
|2000 – 2003
|Alhaja Abibat Adubiaro
|2003 – 2004
|Alhaja Sidikatu Bello (deceased)
|2004 – 2006
|Mrs Patricia Omotomilola Osunde
|2007 – 2009
|2009 – 2010
|Chief (Mrs) Funke Owoseeni
|2010 – 2011
|Mrs. Fola Richie-Adewusi
|2011 – 2014
|Mrs. Olayinka G. Ogundayomi
|2015 – 2018
|Hon. (Mrs) Moji Fafure
|2018 – 2020
Governor Oyebanji calls for girl-child education.
The Ekiti State Governor Mr. Biodun Oyebanji has called for the
removal of barriers that are capable of limiting the girl-child
education in the country and break away from stereotype traditions and
This, he said became necessary for the emancipation of girl-child, end
the vicious circle of poverty and set them on the course of self
fulfilment and realization.
The Governor who made the call at a Female Students Leadership Summit,
Theme: The light we Carry; igniting the power Excellence held at the
Federal Polytechnic in Ado on Friday.
The Governor who was represented by the Secretary to the State
Government Dr Habibat Adubiaro charged the students to embrace
self-development, self-improvement and brace up for the challenges
“I advised that as a female student or a girl child, you must know
whom you are so that the society can be proud of you tomorrow because
you shall also get to the position in life she advised”
“As a country we are almost getting to the point of having a female
governor even president in future, the reason why we practice
Government of inclusion in Ekiti where our Governor has female as his
deputy governor, female as the SSG and also the first female speaker
in the house of assembly. she said”
“Ekiti State is first state in Nigeria that occupied women in all this
positions in the whole of Nigeria, and this is to tell you that our
Governor loves and appreciates you in all spheres of life. She added”.
“Am a teacher and a former lecturer of chemistry in the faculty of
science at the Federal University, Oye, where female students are
leading in all the subjects in the department of Chemistry, Physics
and others, to show that females are breaking the barrier already”.
Adubiaro advised the students to consider choosing a life partner that
will share and key-in into their vision whenever they are ready.
“getting married is not the end of one’s Carrier because I got married
when I was in the university and my husband has been a pillar of
support for me to attain this position even as I am a PhD holder
today, that means you can become whatever you want with the support of
a good husband that will aid your aspiration to attain any level in
life, she advised”
The Wife of the Governor Dr.Olayemi Oyebanji in her remarks commended
the organizers of the summit for choosing such an inspiring theme.
The Governor’s Wife noted that light connotes life, happiness,
prosperity and a perfect being.
“As female students in Nigeria, you are the light of the world because
you Carry a light that shines brightly in a society that is still
grappling with issues of gender inequality, discrimination and Gender
based violence. The light represents the potentials, your aspirations
and your determination to succeed or excel despite the many challenges
you face” she said
Dr Olayemi who was represented by a scholar, Dr. Adenike Kolawole said
to unleash the power of excellence the students must be ready to
overcome the obstacles that stand on their way and must be prepared to
work hard, stay focused and to persevere in the face of adversity.
The keynote speaker who is also the speaker of the State House of
Assembly Hon. Bunmi Adelugba, advised the participants to remove
distraction in all they do and never to use anyone as their yardstick
rather to discover their purpose in life.
Other dignitaries at the event included a Former Commissioner for
Women Affairs Hon Fola Richy Adewusi among other.