In accordance with Section 9, of the Ekiti State Independent Electoral Commission Law No.3 of 2001, the functions include the following:
- Organizing, conducting and supervising all elections and matters pertaining to elections into all elective offices provided for in the Local Government Laws or any other law enacted by the Ekiti State House of Assembly;
- Monitoring political campaigns and provide rules and regulations which shall govern the election;
- Ensuring that all Electoral Commissioners, Electoral and Returning Officers take and subscribe to the Oath of Office prescribed by the Law;
- Conducting voters and civic education leading to Local Government election;
- Promoting knowledge of sound democratic election processes;
- Conducting referendum required to be conducted pursuant to the provisions of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) or any other law; and
- Carrying out such functions as may be conferred upon it by any other law.