Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State has raised the hope that the economic wheel of the State is will run more smoothly and receive a boost now with the submission of the first report by the Economic Management Team, (EMT) which he inaugurated on October 26, 2011.
Receiving the report from the Deputy Governor, Mrs. Funmi Olayinka, who is the Chairperson of the team, he noted that the desire to have a blue print to fast tract the implementation of the economic agenda of its administration and completely stamp out poverty from Ekiti prompted the inauguration of the Team.
While promising religious study and implementation of the report, Governor Fayemi who expressed his confidence that the report will go a long way to address the yearnings of the people for economic development in the State, and thanked the Team for working assiduously on the assignment given to them and for keeping the promise to turn in the report within six months of inauguration.
The Deputy Governor, while presenting the report explained that the Team took the assignment with all sense of responsibility as they know the zeal and the aspiration of Governor to make life more meaningful to everybody living in the state.
According to her, “The report contains issues of state interests needing urgent attention. Consequently, this report has apportioned some roles and responsibilities for MDAs to facilitate speedy implementation of all findings and recommendations therein.”
She thanked the Governor on behalf of the members of the team for the opportunity to serve in that capacity adding that members have decided to be more resolute in any future assignment and work towards consolidating the present achievement.
Terms of reference of the committee at inauguration includes:
· To coordinate Government Economic programmes;
· To serve as the think tank for Government on Economic matters;
· To proffer solutions that would tackle unemployment, especially youth unemployment;
· To set the pace for accelerated economic reforms i.e. building a robust and resilient economy in the state;
· To strengthen existing regulations and improve oversight functions on MDAs activities;
· To improve Public Financial Management, focusing on accountability and results;
· To proffer measures that would diversify economic structures;
· To achieve synergy and complementary economic development with Local Government Areas;
· To evolve an effective Monitoring & Evaluation framework to ensure the attainment of the 8 Point Agenda among all.
Last modified: June 7, 2012